The New Markets Tax Credit (NMTC) Program was created by the Federal Government in 2000 to encourage investment and jobs creation in very low-income communities.
Florida Community Loan Fund, FCLF, has participated in the NMTC Program since 2003, and has been awarded 7 NMTC allocations from the U.S. Treasury's CDFI Fund and two awards from the State of Florida's New Markets Development Program; for a total of over $282 million in allocation awards.
At FCLF, our NMTC program focuses on projects that align with our mission of helping underserved citizens throughout the state of Florida. Financing is generally for construction or major renovation of large real estate projects. FCLF's NMTC focus is on:
- Community Facilities. From urban core facilities that provide help for homeless and domestic violence victims, to non-metro areas where healthcare for low-income residents is a real concern, community facilities that place a priority on serving low-income clients or provide dedicated services to low-income or at-risk clients are a priority for FCLF's NMTC Program. These could include facilities that provide services for homeless, domestic violence, youth/education, and healthcare.
- Community-Based or Community-Oriened Projects, which can bring indirect or intangible services to a low-income community. Examples are locally owned or regional grocery stores, nonprofit budiness incubators, and technology hubs.
- High Impact Economic Development or Manufacturing Projects that serve as a catalyst for other economic development, often as part of a community redevelopment master plan, and creat jobs in low-income census tracts.
Does NMTC fit your project? Some of the characteristics of NMTC financing are:
- Monthly payments may be lower than for similar size conventional loans as a result of interest-only payments.
- Effective rates are often below market for commercial loans of this type.
- Higher LTVs may result from the 2-loan structure, with the "B" loan often being treated as up-front substitute for a portion of equity required by lenders.
- Option of equity conversion at the end of the 7-year term.
Meet our Borrowers through the NMTC Program and see the impact we have had in qualified distressed census tracts.
If you have more questions or to find out if your project meets the NMTC Program guidelines, Contact Us.